The year is 1925. Two years earlier, the BRT (Brooklyn Rapid Transit) went into receivership and the BMT (Brooklyn Manhattan Transit) was born. Riding high above the cobblestone road and trolley rails of Jamaica Avenue, the subway tied the Queens shopping hub of Jamaica to the “Big Apple”. It was in this year that Grandpa Schmidt had the notion to open his shop at 94-15 Jamaica Avenue, under the BMT. His plan was to bring coveted old-world German chocolate recipes together with the finest ingredients. And that, he did. In doing so, Schmidt’s Candy came to life.
Through the years things changed in this “Haven In The City”. The shop was taken over by his son, then his daughter-in-law, all the while maintaining those recipes and quality. Those who know Woodhaven will likely regale you with stories of shops come and gone: Lewis’ Of Woodhaven; The Haven, Roosevelt, or Willard Theaters; Jason’s Toys. In light of all the change, Schmidt’s remains as a, sort-of, Woodhaven landmark. Grand-daughter Margie Schmidt continues the traditions begun back in 1925 by Grandpa, using the same time-tested formulae and quality ingredients. They’re even brought together in the original copper kettle (okay, it’s been replated a few times) and worked on the same marble tables!